The main aim of artificial intelligence in medicine is to mimic human cognitive actions which is directly or indirectly bringing pioneer changes in the field of healthcare. Artificial intelligence in healthcare simplifies the processes of healthcare organizations as well as the lives of everyone connected to them. AI helps in performing tasks much faster than humans. From finding new links between genetic orders to assisting in surgery, artificial intelligence is reshaping the 21st century healthcare that can predict, learn fast, and alter their actions with the help of data-backed insights. Healthcare industry isn’t the only industry to realize the benefits posed by the advancements in cognitive technologies such as artificial intelligence, IoT and machine learning. Rather, healthcare industry was the first to reap the benefits of these cognitive technologies, especially in healthcare R&D, disease diagnostics, and treatment.
Artificial intelligence in medicine enables automation by leveraging IoT and ML. Request a free proposal for personalized recommendations.
Applications of Artificial Intelligence in Medicine
The increasing popularity and availability of healthcare data and rapid expansion of big data analytics methods have helped in shaping successful applications of artificial intelligence in medicine. Guided by clinical questions and human intuition, artificial intelligence can help in gaining relevant comprehensive insights that are drawn from massive amount of healthcare data. The three major applications of artificial intelligence in medicine are –
- Patient-oriented artificial intelligence
- Clinic-oriented artificial intelligence
- Administration-oriented artificial intelligence
Benefits of Artificial Intelligence in Medicine
- Early detection of diseases – AI can accumulate and keep patient’s data in a single place and can utilize it to study historical illnesses. Comparison of disease details enables physicians and healthcare workers to make an accurate and faster diagnosis. Several AI methodologies and tools forecast contagious and hereditary genetic diseases, which in turn enables better patient care.
- Saves time and cost – Artificial intelligence in the healthcare industry assists in early detection as well as reducing the effort of diagnosis. Artificial intelligence algorithms are cost effective as they help in detecting diseases with lesser testing. AI algorithms increase the possibilities of leveraging automation in every possible field, thus resulting in less human interference, reduced costs, and errors.
- Information sharing – Artificial intelligence in medicine helps the healthcare industry collect, analyze, and draw meaningful insights from medical data. Apart from handling data, AI in the healthcare industry helps in seamless information sharing.
- Effective treatment plan – Designing a treatment plan for chronic diseases has always been cumbersome and changes with each individual. Treatment plans are complex and while designing a treatment plan it is mandatory to consider a few factors such as historical ailment data, preservation of tissues, available treatment facilities, etc. Artificial intelligence and IoT helps in designing effective treatment plans with better accuracy, resulting in optimized patient care.
Speak to our experts to know how our AI can support medical expertise and analytical skills.
What is the Future of Artificial Intelligence in Medicine?
New entrants of the healthcare industry like payers, insurance companies, and healthcare providers are most likely to leverage artificial intelligence to a much greater extent. As a result most of the healthcare related activities will be automation-, ML-, and AI-based. Automation-based activities will help in saving time and aid healthcare workers, doctors, and others in improving their skills and add greater value to services. Extensive use of artificial intelligence in medicine can also grant better flexibility. The increasing ability of medical devices to use artificial intelligence and IoT to remotely monitor patients and send early alerts can give better outcomes at much lower costs. Clinical decision making and risk analysis are the most appropriate areas for development of artificial intelligence and machine learning. By empowering a new generation of analytics tools, healthcare providers are now well informed and efficient in providing better care. AI has already proven to be a blessing for the healthcare industry. Artificial intelligence in medicine continues to augment its abilities too recognize problems accurately.